Author Topic: [SOLVED] SCI0 - Globalizing my local death sheet Script  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Doan Sephim

[SOLVED] SCI0 - Globalizing my local death sheet Script
« on: February 20, 2022, 02:25:28 PM »
Last year, inspired by Charles "retry/restore/quit" thread, I put together a death window to show the various deaths the player has suffered in the game to the current point. I had to do a lot of things differently, such as saving variables to an external file so that restoring doesn't remove them, to make this possible.

I've put together a bare bones script in a random room's script to test getting it up and running, but now I need to make it global so that the sheet can be accessed anytime (preferably in the menubar). Here's where the problem presents itself - while migrating the code to the main script, I can get everything up and running except the ability to remove the window. I think the problem may rest with my use of the Display command, but I'm not 100% certain.

My question is should I try to make a new script for this (and how), or does it belong in an existing script (Window, User), or is the Main script a fine place for and there are just some bugs? And finally, should I not be using "display" at all and keep it all a "Print" command? If that's the case, how do I argue how to print some things and not others in a Print? Perhaps FormatPrint first?

Here is how it presented in the Roomscript:
Code: [Select]
;;; Sierra Script 1.0 - (do not remove this comment)
; Broken Bridge Forest
(script# 210)
(include sci.sh)
(include game.sh)
(use controls)
(use cycle)
(use feature)
(use game)
(use inv)
(use main)
(use obj)
(use window)
(use menubar)

(public
rm210 0
)

(local
deathWindowOpen = 0 ; Used as a switch to determine when you can close the deathWindow
deathWindow ; Used to open the display window
i = 0 ; Used in the "for"
textDown = 7 ; Used to place statements progressively lower than earlier statements
textRight = 20 ; Used to move statements right, once y-axis full - NOT YET IMPLEMENTED
[str 30] ; String for pulling text resources
)

(instance rm210 of Rm
(properties
picture scriptNumber
north 0
east 211
south 0
west 215
)

(method (init)
(super init:)
(self
setScript: RoomScript
)
(switch gPreviousRoomNumber
(else
(gEgo init: posn: 32 96)
)
)
(SetUpEgo)

)
)

(instance RoomScript of Script
(properties)

(method (changeState mainState)
(= state mainState)

)

(method (handleEvent pEvent)
(super handleEvent: pEvent)

; removes the window AND dsiplay text! I'm not sure why it disposes the display though.
(if (== deathWindowOpen 1)
(DisposeWindow deathWindow)
(= deathWindowOpen 0)
(= textDown 7)
)
(if (== (pEvent type?) evMOUSEBUTTON)
)
(if(Said 'show/death')
(= deathWindowOpen 1)
(= deathWindow (NewWindow
{Death Count}
nwNORMAL
15 ; priority
))
; For loop to run through the gDeath array and print a statement of death for each that is true
(for ( (= i 0)) (< i 9)  ( (++ i)) (if (> [gDeaths i] 0)
(switch i
(0
(Display
(Format @str {You have died %u times:} [gDeaths 0])
dsCOORD 10 textDown
)
(= textDown (+ textDown 12))
)
(1
(deathCountIterator)
)
(2
(deathCountIterator)
)
(3
(deathCountIterator)
)
(4
(deathCountIterator)
)
(5
(deathCountIterator)
)
(6
(deathCountIterator)
)
(7
(deathCountIterator)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)

(procedure (deathCountIterator)
(Display
(Format @str 650 i)
dsCOORD 20 textDown
dsFONT 4
)
(= textDown (+ textDown 9))
)
Attached is how the window looks in the roomscript, and the termination command works just fine (but doesn't work well at all in the Main)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 09:05:34 PM by Doan Sephim »

Artificial Intelligence Competition

Offline Kawa

Re: SCI0 - Globalizing my local death sheet Script
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 02:59:18 PM »
1. Something like a death screen doesn't need to be a Room per se, but you certainly don't want it as part of Main — there's no reason to keep a large script that may not be needed for a long time in memory.

2. Display or Print... why not a third option? Print is just a convenience function that populates a Dialog, after all, so why not use a Dialog but not Print? That'll take care of both dismissing the window and having a complicated layout inside of it.

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »
1. Something like a death screen doesn't need to be a Room per se, but you certainly don't want it as part of Main — there's no reason to keep a large script that may not be needed for a long time in memory.

2. Display or Print... why not a third option? Print is just a convenience function that populates a Dialog, after all, so why not use a Dialog but not Print? That'll take care of both dismissing the window and having a complicated layout inside of it.
1. Any suggestions on a good place to put it? I'm not great when it comes to reading/editing the template and I've never been successful in creating my own script (that wasn't a region or regular roomscript)

2. Sounds like a good idea re: Dialog. Do you know where I can look to find the basics for it? I'm not very familiar with it.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 04:52:30 PM »
Just pick a number that isn't taken by a script yet, I guess? As for how to do a custom Dialog, I'd say study the Print function.

The Print function uses temporary variables to hold a Dialog instance, one DText, one icon, one DEdit, and up to six DButtons, plus a bunch of things to track all that. It first instantiates a new Dialog ((= hDialog (Dialog new:))) and DText, then figures out what text to put in there (is it a Text tuple or a script pointer?), and finally adds the DText to the Dialog ((hDialog add: hDText)). It then goes through all the other arguments, if any, adding icons, setting titles, adding and tracking buttons, and moving things around. Finally, it opens the Dialog, calls Dialog::doit to get the user's response, and disposes it again ((hDialog open: nwNORMAL -1 doit: dispose:), to simplify).

Therefore, here's what I'd do, off the top of my head:
(procedure (DeathReport &tmp hDialog hText [str 512] theY)
(= hDialog (Dialog new:))

(Format @str {You have died %u times:} [gDeaths 0])
(= hText (DText new:))
(hText
text: @str
moveTo: 4 4
font: 0
setSize:
)
(hDialog add: hText)
(= theY (+ 4 (hText nsBottom?)))

;;; The iteration starts here
; Put something new in str
(= hText (DText new:))
(hText
text: @str
moveTo: 4 theY
font: 4
setSize:
)
(hDialog add: hText)
(= theY (+ 4 (hText nsBottom?)))
;;; Repeat that part until you're done.

(hDialog
text: {Death Count}
setSize:
center:
open: nwTITLE -1
doit: ; This should block until you click the dialog. Or a button, which we didn't add.
dispose:
)
)

You might wonder if it's safe to reuse hText like that. Well, SCI10's PrintD does it, and that does in fact allow more arbitrary layouts than SCI0's Print.

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 08:33:55 PM »
Thanks Kawa. I'm trying to use the procedure you posted to get started with, but it's coming up with the "oops" error, so I'm not sure where things aren't working. It compiled just fine...

If I'm reading your code and comment correctly, it looks like the important thing I need to add a particular number of lines to a single window is DText (and as you mentioned reusing the hText) for DText.

I will keep playing around with this to see if I can start with something simple and build my understanding from there.

Edit: I seem to have localized the area leading to the crash:
Something in this part seems to cause the crash. With this removed, the procedure runs its course while displaying nothing
(hDialog
text: {Death Count}
setSize:
center:
open: nwTITLE -1
doit: ; This should block until you click the dialog. Or a button, which we didn't add.
dispose:
)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 08:38:56 PM by Doan Sephim »

Offline Kawa

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 08:18:32 AM »
I did write that off the top of my head without testing. Try doit: 0?

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 08:51:21 AM »
I did write that off the top of my head without testing. Try doit: 0?
Wow! I definitely don't have that kind of competence to write code in my head.

doit: 0 still yields error.

When I have time, I'll keep looking

Offline Kawa

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 09:00:23 AM »
If I had competence, it would've worked 😺

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 10:14:24 AM »
Does anyone how QfG1 did something similar with its inventory screen? That could be a good place for me to look if we have the script

Offline doomlazer

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 01:32:17 PM »
This?
https://github.com/EricOakford/SCI-Decompilation-Archive/blob/master/qfg1ega/src/InvSheet.sc

You'd need to convert the display's p_at, p_mode, etc. back to using dsCOORD, dsALIGN, etc.
http://scicompanion.com/Documentation/Kernels/Display.html

Looks like the InvSheet is activated from the handleEvent method of the menuBar script in QFG1:
https://github.com/EricOakford/SCI-Decompilation-Archive/blob/master/qfg1ega/src/Menu.sc

((ScriptID INVSHEET 0) init: doit:)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 02:20:44 PM by doomlazer »

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 02:43:42 PM »
Thanks for the links! This looks fruitful, albeit a bit above my knowledge level, but I'm able to at least make out what's going on. Converting it and structuring for my own use...we'll see  ;)
Thanks again for the links

If I were to make my own script, I would clearly use "Main" and "System", but I don't know what to do about "Invent" or if I'd need to include other scripts from the template
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 02:45:33 PM by Doan Sephim »

Offline doomlazer

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 03:01:32 PM »
Keep in mind I'm wrong at least half the time, but (use inv) might be the SCI0 template equivalent of (use Invent). Maybe try commenting out ;(use Invent) and see if it compiles without it. That would at least help identify what it needs from Invent.

You will probably need to change (include game.sh) to (include sci.sh). That should make the dsCOORD, etc. compile.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 03:03:09 PM by doomlazer »

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 03:05:54 PM »
Keep in mind I'm wrong at least half the time, but (use inv) might be the SCI0 template equivalent of (use Invent). Maybe try commenting out ;(use Invent) and see if it compiles without it. That would at least help identify what it needs from Invent.

You will probably need to change (include game.sh) to (include sci.sh). That should make the dsCOORD, etc. compile.
That's funny, I just had that issue :D At the moment I have the following:

(include sci.sh)
(include game.sh)
(use Main)
(use User)
(use SysWindow)
and that fixed the dsWHATEVER problem you anticipated I was having XD It took me longer than I am comfortable sharing before I realized it was probably my includes causing the issue.

Offline doomlazer

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 03:13:28 PM »
My fault, I should have mentioned sci.sh in the first place when changing back to dsCOORD.

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 03:32:31 PM »
Okay, rewriting the whole script and editing it piece by piece isn't going to work for me with all the different syntax and especially different classes that I can't access on my end. I'm just going to try and focus on the part that I'm having the most difficulty with, and that is the process of iterating through a series of variables and displaying something on those that are true. This seems to be the relevant code:
(method (init &tmp i temp1 y fgColour totalWeight [str 40])
(super init:)
(= theWindow
(NewWindow nsTop nsLeft nsBottom nsRight {} 0 -1 vBLUE vWHITE)
)
(Display 206 1 p_at 10 8 p_mode teJustLeft p_font 300 p_color vBLUE)
;You Are Carrying:
(= totalWeight (WtCarried))
(= i 1)
(= y 24)
(while (<= i 41)
(if (and (> [invNum i] 0) (> i 2))
(if (<= y 160)
(DisplayInventoryItem i 10 y)
)
(= y (+ y 9))
)
(++ i)
)
(cond
((== y 24)
(Display 206 2 p_at 40 (+ y 5) p_mode teJustLeft p_font 300 p_color vBLUE)
;Nothing
)
((>= y 174)
(Display 206 3 p_at 40 172 p_mode teJustLeft p_font 300 p_color vBLUE)
;. . . and more
)
)
this while loop is actually very similar to how I had tried to do this with my for loop. It'll make a new window than display things accordingly, which I think is the same thing I tried...so I guess I'll just have to figure out what the major differences are. This is so much headache for something that seems so simple and easy.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.