Author Topic: Fan Made "Crazy Nick's Picks"  (Read 5097 times)

Offline OmerMor

Fan Made "Crazy Nick's Picks"
« on: December 20, 2006, 03:01:20 PM »
Hi,
As you all might know, Sierra made 5 "Crazy Nick's Picks" games that featured mini games from their other adventure games (and from Hoyle's book of games).
However there are other mini games that never made it to Nick's Picks, like the Awari game from Quest for Glory 3, and possibly more that I can't think of right now.
I was wondering if the state of the tools available to the fan community at the moment allows us to extract those other mini games, and construct a sixth (and possibly more) fan-made Crazy Nick's Picks.
What do you think?

Omer Mor.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:12:19 PM by Cloudee1 »

Offline Cloudee1

Re: Fan Made "Crazy Nick's Picks"
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 03:22:41 PM »
I don't think we have anything yet that can reconstruct anything above the EGA versions. So the mini games in Hero's Quest 3 aren't buildable at the moment.

You should be able to view all of the views and pics though with Brians unfinished sciVga, then you could copy the images. Try to paste into new views of scistudio 3 and then clean up the image as best as possible to 16 colors. Then after all that try to recreate the Roomscript of the game. I am working on trying to figure out two mini game scripts myself one of them being similar to Bomberman, so it might be possible. I haven't decided bomberman is possible yet, so don't start expecting it.
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 03:59:24 PM »
Maybe more experienced hackers like troflip or trodos could make such magic?

Offline trodoss

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 02:38:11 PM »
Hi, just moved over to the new forum ;)

As to the "Crazy Nick's Picks" I would say there are more than enough "tools" in order to create them (in at least EGA).   I think some of them were written on AGI though (early ones, like SQ mini games).   Probablly would have to create new objects though.  I think Actor *could* work, but for games like Astro Chicken, I am pretty sure they derived a new class to handle a more basic "sprite-like" object.

----
I am still working on deciphering SCI01 (so don't give up hope yet).  There are some strange querks that I have run into though...one of which is a different object model on the SCI01 interpreters.

I think it is possible still.  I do remember that there was a possiblity of using FreeSCI interpreter (and using the old SCI0 script logic with SCI1 resources).  That would be an "easier" path that I haven't persued yet.

New Year's Competition

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 08:00:18 AM »
I am still working on deciphering SCI01 (so don't give up hope yet).  There are some strange querks that I have run into though...one of which is a different object model on the SCI01 interpreters.
You keep saying this. Could you elaborate, please? And if you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask; the SCI01/SCI1 support in FreeSCI is quite solid already, if I say so myself. I may already have covered the things you're looking at.

I think it is possible still.  I do remember that there was a possiblity of using FreeSCI interpreter (and using the old SCI0 script logic with SCI1 resources).  That would be an "easier" path that I haven't persued yet.
If you are considering reimplementation, that would be easier. However, we don't have SCI1.1 support yet (QfG3 is SCI1.1), and it's not a high priority for me either. The jump from SCI1 to SCI1.1 is comparatively larger than the one from SCI0 to SCI1:
  • The script format changed. I'd like to do this concurrently with savegames to avoid doing the same work twice.
  • View scaling was introduced. At first, it may seem like we can postpone this, but control lines, hit tests and such may force us to implement it early.
  • Separate resource bundles and resource handling for new resource types (audio36, sync36, message). Our resource manager should be able to handle this.
  • Implementation of format parsers and new kernel calls.
So using FreeSCI on a game like QfG3 will not work directly.

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 03:38:54 AM »
This is quite a bump...  8)

I think the state of the tools at hand make my suggestion much more doable.

Anyone here feels like creating a new standalone minigame / crazy nick's picks bundle from Sierra games? I particularly like the Awari from QfG3 mentioned in the original post.

I think I'll also make a list with available standalone mini games.

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 03:52:16 AM »
Here's the start of a list, in a Google Sheets format.
Feel free to add all the mini games you know of. I gave global edit permissions.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mVmIC16Ku1z5XaXPAO3INQ4Up5DXaO60oWQVmWTjQCk/edit?usp=sharing

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.