Author Topic: SCI Games with Full Source ...?  (Read 6151 times)

Offline Nostalgic

SCI Games with Full Source ...?
« on: February 13, 2011, 12:34:14 PM »
Just checking: is there a list of any games done with SCI that have their full source code available? One of the things I notice is that communities with game engines that don't have a lot of source available for study tend to languish pretty bad. One exception to this seems to be AGS, but then again its DemoQuest has a huge amout of source available. Communities like Inform and TADS seem to thrive on this.

Offline Collector

Re: SCI Games with Full Source ...?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »
There are lots of code examples on these forums and on the Wiki. There are also several tutorials with code examples. Check the "How To"s and the Syntax Help forums here and the SCI Studio Help files have lots of coding information.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Nostalgic

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »
Right, I get there are examples of code. But are there open source games where you can see that code in a specific context? I know the LockerGnome thing is out there so that's nice. I saw the Leisure Suit Larry 2 tutorial, but it's really hard to follow and it depends on you having the resources.

I think what would be nice is if the community had at least some games that do various things and that are available with full source. This is pretty much what every other game community provides along with isolated code examples and documentation.

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »
Doan's old Knight's Quest demo was open source and had some great examples in the code that helped me out tremendously. Is it not in the fangames section?
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Nostalgic

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 04:41:35 PM »
Doan's old Knight's Quest demo was open source and had some great examples in the code that helped me out tremendously. Is it not in the fangames section?

The game does appear to be there. Nothing on the descriptive text indicates the source is available, so I'll check it out. If it is the case that some games have source and some don't, maybe just an indication of that is all that's needed.

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 05:45:50 PM »
Yeah, there's not a list per se... the two little games I did, aquarius and circus quest have the source included... as for lsl reloaded, there should be a download link somewhere under the navigation which is a zip file of that rooms resources and you're right it's not really a tutorial, just sample code. if you aren't familiar with the events that occur in a room you probably won't go looking to see what's there. I'm not sure about all the  others games and sources though.

* When I go through and unAGI our games page when agigames.com is up again, I will go ahead and add a checkbox for if source is included.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:38:09 PM by Cloudee1 »
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Eigen

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 01:40:04 PM »
Okay, I'm releasing the source code of Dr. Jummybummy's Space Adventure 2, but I doubt it's of much use to anyone. Mainly because it's really old and I was really bad at writing code. But take it, use it, delete it or further develop the game to something playable, I'm fine with all options :)

Source
Artificial Intelligence Competition

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 07:32:21 PM »
Hey Eigen, do you want me to just go ahead and toss the source into the version on the fangames page?

Offline Eigen

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 03:35:34 AM »
Yeah, sure. That'd be great.
Artificial Intelligence Competition

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:09:16 PM »
Just checking: is there a list of any games done with SCI that have their full source code available? One of the things I notice is that communities with game engines that don't have a lot of source available for study tend to languish pretty bad. One exception to this seems to be AGS, but then again its DemoQuest has a huge amout of source available. Communities like Inform and TADS seem to thrive on this.

Alright, actually a number of the fan games do have source code included... I've gone through each one and with a little database magic, the games with source included are now marked as such (under the downloaded line) on the fangames page. Not sure about the quality of code, but it is available. Hope this helps.

I haven't added the button to the actual upload form yet, but I will soon and Eigen, jb2+source has been swapped out.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:19:32 PM by Cloudee1 »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.