Author Topic: Problem with Picedit (Java)  (Read 21436 times)

Offline robingravel

Problem with Picedit (Java)
« on: June 03, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »
Hi

I downloaded the java Picedit and I updated my computer to Java 6.5

The computer tells me which program I need to open picedit.jar file.

Robin Gravel

Offline gumby

Re: Problem with Picedit (Java)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »
You can run the jar file from the console:
Code: [Select]
java -jar picedit-1.2.1.jar
However, I was able to launch it just by double-clicking it from within Windows.
In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline robingravel

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:58:16 PM »
And how to open the console?

I use Vista.

Robin Gravel

Offline gumby

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 12:43:50 AM »
Click on the start menu and type 'cmd'.  Still, I would think that if you have Java successfully installed, you should just be able to open the application by double-clicking it.
In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline robingravel

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »
I got this message:

'jar' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne ou externe, un programme ex

Offline Collector

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 02:12:59 PM »
Sounds like you don't have the Java runtime installed properly. Jars should be associated with Java.

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

If it is installed, but jars did not get properly associated, you can also adapt gumby's suggestion to a batch file.
Code: [Select]
java -jar picedit-1.2.1.jarSave the above in Notepad as a file with the ".bat" extension. Double click on it in the same folder as the picedit-1.2.1.jar.

You can also try the compiled batch file I made for you. Just copy it into the same folder as picedit-1.2.1.jar before running it.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline robingravel

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »
Thank you for the batch file.

I copied batch file and java picedit in the agistudio directory.

Java Picedit works fine. Windows always tells me the program is not identified. I always need to click on ok to run picedit.

But when I load a game, nothing happens. My guess is java picedit needs to be copied all the game directories. DOS picedit is smarter for this issue.

Robin Gravel

Offline Raf

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 08:35:44 AM »
1. Windows 7 does that with almost every file. If anybody knows how to turn that off, they'd make me a very happy guy.

2. How do you load a game in Picedit?

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »
1. Windows 7 does that with almost every file. If anybody knows how to turn that off, they'd make me a very happy guy.

2. How do you load a game in Picedit?

Thanks to everyone who has been answering these quesions in my absence. I'm only getting a chance to check these forums every 3-4 days.

Regarding the ability to load a game in Picedit: this may refer to AgiStudio's ability to launch PICEDIT in order to edit a PICTURE resource. As you all know, AgiStudio didn't have a picture editor built in. Peter Kelly used PICEDIT since it was already available to do the job.

I haven't yet added the ability to load a picture from a command line parameter. This may be what Robin is referring to. Hmmm, I wonder....  If I do add such a command line parameter (compatible with the old version) whether it is possible to get AgiStudio to launch the new version somehow...

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
And how to open the console?

I use Vista.

Robin Gravel

Interesting. I don't have a Vista machine to try this out on, but I can see no reason why double clicking on the JAR shouldn't work (other than Collector's suggestions). Vista is just another Windows, so should work the same as XP or Windows 7.

I've tried Windows XP and Mac OSX, and on both it is simply a matter of double clicking on the jar file. I've also run it on Puppy Linux but can't remember if I double clicked on the jar or not. That was quite a while ago now.

Offline Collector

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »
I haven't yet added the ability to load a picture from a command line parameter. This may be what Robin is referring to. Hmmm, I wonder....  If I do add such a command line parameter (compatible with the old version) whether it is possible to get AgiStudio to launch the new version somehow...

If you made a compiled batch file like I made for Robin and named it the same as the DOS PicEdit, AGIStudio could launch the Java PicEdit. I suppose that the trick would be to get it to accept parameters this way, but at least AGIStudio would not have to changed.Is AGIStudio even open source?
KQII Remake Pic

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 01:46:24 AM »
I'm not sure if AGI Studio is open sourced or not. Other people have worked on it since Peter Kelly abandoned it, but the most recent development is quite some time ago.

The original PICEDIT doesn't work very well on my PC, so I'm not sure how many people use AGIStudio for picture editing these days. Perhaps they use Dosbox to run PICEDIT, or more likely they are using WinAGI.

The command line option is now on my todo list.

Offline Collector

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 03:07:34 AM »
It looks like AGI Studio was open source. As an experiment, I dropped the PicEdit jar and the compiled batch file to launch it in the AGI Studio folder and AGI Studio does launch it. If the command line options remain the same as with the DOS version it looks like that it should work without any modification of AGI Studio.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Raf

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 09:07:21 AM »
I'm not sure if AGI Studio is open sourced or not. Other people have worked on it since Peter Kelly abandoned it, but the most recent development is quite some time ago.

The original PICEDIT doesn't work very well on my PC, so I'm not sure how many people use AGIStudio for picture editing these days. Perhaps they use Dosbox to run PICEDIT, or more likely they are using WinAGI.

The command line option is now on my todo list.

Under Win98, Picedit worked fine. XP's got problems with it. Some years ago, The Joker taught me how to get around that, and I got the impression that Klownstein uses the same technique.

This technique (as far as I can remember) goes as following:

1. Draw a very basic, rough outline in Picedit (boot it up in Dosbox or whatever, suffer the weird shit it pulls for a short amount of time, then quit as soon as you can). Pic should be saved as BMP. This step is mainly to get the alignment of your lines right, not to do any actual drawing.

2. Open the BMP in MS Paint or whatever you want to use and flesh everything out.

3. To get the details (and especially dithering) in, use the selector tool to select the part you want to alter, copy it, open the Views editor in AGI Studio, paste it and treat it as a view. Then copy-paste it back into your BMP once you're done.

4. Save the file and convert it to an AGI picture using Vector

So... nope. People do use AGI Studio for picture editing, but not the way you think :P The Java version of Picedit helps alot in getting rid of the pain of step 1, though. Maybe it can be used to add a 5th step to the process: tweaking the picture to become less resource-intensive (turning it into as little vector commands as possible)

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 05:48:02 PM »
It looks like AGI Studio was open source. As an experiment, I dropped the PicEdit jar and the compiled batch file to launch it in the AGI Studio folder and AGI Studio does launch it. If the command line options remain the same as with the DOS version it looks like that it should work without any modification of AGI Studio.

Hey, that's good to know. I'll add the command line option right now then. It might be a while before I create another JAR though. Maybe I'll tidy up the features I'm currently working on and create a milestone 1 build for 1.3.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.