Hey everyone! I'm new to this community, but a lifelong Sierra fan. I grew up with King's Quest, Space Quest, and Colonel's Bequest. I'm a huge fan of Lance Ewing's work here.
I've been working on a project, and I think you all are the people most likely to be able to help me out with it! (And hopefully appreciate it the most

)
Basically, my thought process/motivation has been:
"What if I could play Sierra-style games in my browser, with modern formats and languages?"
"What if it could be easier to create new Sierra-style games, right in the browser, with modern tooling?"
"What if AI could help?"
The result, so far, is
https://daventry.ioThe idea is that I'm actually
converting the original games into a new format (I'm calling it .dgi - daventry game interpreter

), which is meant to be capable of functioning as a superset for both AGI and SCI and, well, anything else we can think of. It's ultimately JSON, and the engine is JavaScript running in the app.
Since the games are converted rather than played from their source, the main challenge right now is matching fidelity to the original games. I'm using Claude to play-test through games running with the Daventry engine while comparing them to the original. So far I've gotten King's Quest 1, 2, 3, and 4 (switching to SCI was a big one!) playing through to their ends.
For the editor, I'm trying to add support for an AI wizard (I named him Crispin

) that can help edit "worlds". I think the actual editor interface could use a ton of work, but I'm aiming for feature support first and hopefully can circle back to UX.
For gameplay, I'm also considering ways to also use AI to supplement how the game responds to typed commands. For example, if you typed "punch rumpelstiltzkin"...maybe you could actually get a humourous response instead of just "I don't understand that".
I have some youtube videos of Claude beating King's Quests 1, 2, 3, and 4 after converting them and playing them in the Daventry engine - I tried putting links here, but they seem to not render? Happy to share those in a different way if anyone's curious!
I'd love any help! Feedback, testing, direction toward any other similar work, etc. And I'm happy to answer questions if anyone's curious to know more about it!