Author Topic: The Dating Pool  (Read 56627 times)

Offline lskovlun

Re: The Dating Pool
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 05:23:58 AM »
Update: moved the two intro cutscene talkers from script 103 to 1003, changed findTalker and disposeCode accordingly. No difference. For the record, the Oops ends in error 4.
This could still be the same thing. DisposeCode is run on room change, and disposes scripts unconditionally. Error 4 is "not an object".
I am not sure how Sierra managed talkers in ephemeral scripts, but one you could try adding a global procedure, say ClearTalker, which would go and set your messager's talker value to 0, then call it from somewhere appropriate (Game::startRoom?). It may have unforeseen side effects, and there must be a better way, but I can't think of any just now.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 07:50:12 AM »
This could still be the same thing. DisposeCode is run on room change, and disposes scripts unconditionally. Error 4 is "not an object".
I am not sure how Sierra managed talkers in ephemeral scripts, but one you could try adding a global procedure, say ClearTalker, which would go and set your messager's talker value to 0, then call it from somewhere appropriate (Game::startRoom?). It may have unforeseen side effects, and there must be a better way, but I can't think of any just now.
With the talkers still in their own script and a ClearTalker procedure added, I now get this:
Code: [Select]
Debugger enabled
; Just before acting, ClearTalker reveals the old value.
(gMessager talker?) = 0
; The severely-shortened intro speaks one line.
NewRoom 110
(gMessager talker?) = 30438
; The player steps out of the car and slams the door.
SpeakWindow::open
; It works.

For testing, here's an alternate version that has the intro in it, and here's a new teaser image.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:51:07 AM by Kawa »

Offline troflip

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 11:13:52 PM »
Very slick demo. Nicely done! (minor credits nit: SCI Companion is not based on SCI Studio)

It sounds like you've figure out all the issues?
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 04:08:25 AM »
A different kind of "based" I suppose, but easily rectified. Perhaps a better credits nit would be to add Iskovlun, lol.

Besides the issues, does anybody have any content-related suggestions and such?

Edit: updated the main demo download linked on the first page.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:25:10 AM by Kawa »

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 07:53:38 AM »
If you are ready, you could always post it to the games pages too  ;)

Sorry though I haven't had time to take a look at it yet though. So no input as of yet. I know the screenshots are looking excellent though. Somebody over there is quite the artist
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 12:44:33 PM »
Somebody over there is quite the artist
Heavily-manipulated GMod screenshots and traced sprites from Iceman.  8)

Oh, and Daz Studio. How could I forget?

Edit: Okay, demo's submitted, but I missed and clicked Short instead of Demo. If you can change that in approval, that'd be great.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:50:23 PM by Kawa »

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »
Done and available

Offline Kawa

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 04:46:26 PM »
Tumblr user iliketurnips notified me of a crash in the closeup scene. It was as I thought it would be, and it should be fixed now. I put a new copy on my server, and the local copy should be updated too.

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »
I'm sure this is something that you have already noticed, but it looks like you need to do a little logic work for your talkers when ego is near the edge of the screen. The text falls outside of the balloon area and then does not dispose correctly as a result.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 09:11:35 AM »
Yes, I'm aware of that. It's something I'm planning to work on next year.

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 09:19:09 AM »
A minor thing: After viewing the about dialog, the game resumes with an arrow cursor.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2015, 11:27:49 AM »
A minor thing: After viewing the about dialog, the game resumes with an arrow cursor.
Fixed, but unless something less minor comes up I'm keeping this.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 05:20:08 PM »
Oh my god you guys. An acquaintance of mine with dreams of voice acting (and who recently did a stage performance of Sweeney Todd) did some lines.

Not lines of coke, but holy shit I'd almost think so.

<Covarr> when I read those lines, I knew that the voice had to be a complete dickhead
<Covarr> I hope that shows in this performance

Offline Kawa

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 06:09:52 AM »
As much as I'd hate to triple-post, I have to wonder if anybody would know where/how to acquire somewhat original music. Cos if there's one reason it sounds so good it'd have to be because most of it's from other Sierra games.

And one visual novel. Which, if you don't go too recent, might be an answer. Of course, modern VN don't use MIDI at all...

Still, my question stands. Any suggestions regarding other types of content are of course also welcome.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 02:54:53 PM »
Disappointing. But okay, quadruple post it is.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 24 queries.