Author Topic: Betrayed Alliance Book One: Release Date - Dec 24 2013  (Read 19481 times)

Offline Doan Sephim

Re: Betrayed Alliance Book One: Release Date - Dec 24 2013
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
If by the "DOSBox installer" you meant my run utility, that is just a very generic utility intended just for the developers and probably is not so great for distribution. This is mostly because it does not take into account the wide variation of users' system configuration. I was intending a full blown installer that the end users could download and install to have all configurations done automatically.
OK great! Thanks for educating me on this! I will have to let you write the encoder when the game is done. Thanks for the help :)

Offline Collector

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »
No problem. This looks like something that should be promoted. It might help renew an interest in making new SCI games. too.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Collector

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »
It's not necessarily a foregone conclusion that there are no speed issues in SCI0 fangames.

Which is why I suggested beta testing with cycles maxed out to be sure that there are no timer bugs. I should expose potential speed bugs. It might be a good idea to go over the template game sometime to be sure that there are no processor dependent timers, if no one has done so, yet.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 08:55:48 PM »
No problem. This looks like something that should be promoted. It might help renew an interest in making new SCI games. too.
That would be one of my biggest goals. I remember finding SCIStudio3 for the first time and playing Al Pond 2 and that's what really made me want to make games.

It might be a stretch to think this will do much to renew interest in making SCI game though. I mean JummyBummy2 is bigger in scope than this game and it didn't do much in the way of promotion.

Offline Collector

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 10:22:05 PM »
I announced your trailer on a couple of forums and it was well received.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 10:01:12 AM »
I saw someone on Facebook (don't remember who, it was a friend of a friend) who was working on SCI0-like EGA art and said it was for a game she was making.  I guess her intentions were to use AGS. It's too bad people like this don't know about SCI Studio/Companion. Then again, it is much easier to make a program in an actively developed engine which works on modern systems well without bugs. That's probably a bigger problem with the interest in making SCI games. It's just easier to do it all in AGS...it's just too bad they didn't have an EGA picture editor like Companion/Studio does. But then, not many would probably ever use it anyway.

SCI is just a niche community. It's too bad, but it's true. It simply involves more work than anybody is willing to put into it when you can just use AGS with a much simpler and fluid interface. :(
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »
If you are talking about the one doing the TCB style game, I suggested that she try SCI, but she was concerned that she would not be able to sell her game is it was SCI. Otherwise I don't think that she had explored it at all.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 12:58:57 PM »
I announced your trailer on a couple of forums and it was well received.

Greatly appreciate the free advertising ;)

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »
This will be my last update about BA. In these last 25 days I will be releasing the game.

It is almost fully playable to the end. I have two rooms that need to have the last puzzle elements finished. Both are nearly complete. I have one more room to write "ask about" dialogue for. Everybody else is done.

I'll be sending it to a couple people for playtesting soon. It's really too bad there will be so little playtesting time though...I'm sure there are many mispellings and bugs since I've been crunching away in kind of a frenzy.

Big things that still need finishing is the implementation of music. I would also like to draw new death screen icons. Puzzle points are almost fully implemented. I will need to add a few more by the end. I have a few things to write for notes and books in game. I really would love to draw a new title slide.

At this point its a mad dash to get things done. There are all kinds of small things that keep popping up that I hadn't thought of and its getting a little jumbled in my mind...this is where good coding practice comes into play with helpful notes...unfortunately I haven't done an exceptional job with that  :-X

Thanks for reading and commenting and helping me stay motivated :)

Offline gumby

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »
Doan, one if my early utilities was the spelling and grammar checker.  It's in Perl, but I think I compiled it into an exe.  It should help a bit in getting the text resource polished up.
In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »
 ;D All right good news!  ;D

After about 7 hours of working on the game today I am going to go ahead and say I'm finished.

I know there will be some bugs/mispellings and whatnot...but I am happy with what it looks like right now.

Hopefully there are no really bad bugs. I want to give a very heartfelt shout out to gumby for his relentless playtesting during a really busy time of the year. Without him the game would've been impossible, bug-ridden, and probably breaking due to heap every moment!

I'm going to email it to Collector to write a dosbox installer for. I hope to have it downloadable tomorrow.

Offline Collector

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 12:56:32 AM »
Did you want the source included with the installer?
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 03:28:38 AM »
Yes please

Offline gumby

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 12:54:16 PM »
Hopefully there are no really bad bugs. I want to give a very heartfelt shout out to gumby for his relentless playtesting during a really busy time of the year. Without him the game would've been impossible, bug-ridden, and probably breaking due to heap every moment!
My pleasure, I enjoyed the experience :).  Plus I was able to learn quite a bit by looking at your code.  Releasing this with the source will help a lot of developers who need help implementing some of the features that you included.
In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
Until I figure out how to upload BA correctly to SCICommunity, Collector has generously put together a page here with a link to the download.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.