Author Topic: A Fan Letter to the King's Quest V Art Team  (Read 97 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline watch-out-graham

A Fan Letter to the King's Quest V Art Team
« on: October 06, 2026, 05:06:50 PM »
It has been probably 30 years since I played King's Quest V for the first time and I am still awestruck at the beauty of these background pictures.  320 by 190 pixels and only 256 available colors, and yet these pictures still draw me into the fantasy world and tug on my imagination more than the 4k 3D modeled landscapes of modern games.  In my mind these are the best out of the entire series, even better than the later King's Quest VI which shares its style and is also counted among my favorites.

Of course as a child, I was not aware of the ancient city of Petra or really of One Thousand and One Nights (I can't remember exactly if I had seen Disney's Aladdin before or after) - which just made the landscapes that much more fantastical to me.

Kudos to the entire art team!  I think it is documented that the Art Designer, Andy Hoyos, worked on several of the backgrounds including the witch's cabin (and his very first fantasy assignment, if I'm not mistaken!).  I would love to know who else worked on which backgrounds.

Attached are some of my favorites.



Offline lskovlun

Re: A Fan Letter to the King's Quest V Art Team
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2026, 09:19:27 PM »
My parents have a painting by an Andy Hoyos. The art style is very similar to some of the KQ5 art (in particular the sea voyage late in the game), but abstract. I don't know if it is the same guy, but it would be funny it it is - because they certainly don't know about this.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2026, 09:28:06 PM by lskovlun »

Offline Threepwang

Re: A Fan Letter to the King's Quest V Art Team
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2026, 04:27:20 AM »
The rendering is beautiful! What is the reference site to view the other wallpapers from King's Quest V? I would like to keep them all!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2026, 04:35:48 AM by Threepwang »

Offline watch-out-graham

Re: A Fan Letter to the King's Quest V Art Team
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2026, 12:14:52 PM »
I pulled these directly from the game's resource files, here is the full export!

Offline Threepwang

Re: A Fan Letter to the King's Quest V Art Team
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2026, 06:12:04 PM »
I pulled these directly from the game's resource files, here is the full export!
I thought they were retouched images from the game, but no, it?s beautiful in its original form!

Offline watch-out-graham

Re: A Fan Letter to the King's Quest V Art Team
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2026, 07:30:13 PM »
Shrunk down to 1:1 pixel on a modern monitor definitely makes them look closer to the original drawings for sure!


SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.