Author Topic: Windows 10... anybody made the plunge yet  (Read 5398 times)

Offline Cloudee1

Windows 10... anybody made the plunge yet
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:42:50 PM »
So a couple of weeks ago, I went ahead and put 8.1 on the laptop. So between the tablet and the laptop, I am getting pretty used to it and overall I really don't have any major complaints about windows 8.1. I put in my reservation to upgrade to 10 but I have heard some minor complaints, most of them seem to focus on the new browser Edge though. Not a really big concern there as I primarily use chrome anyway. Just wondering if anyone else has updated though and what they thought of 10 so far.

Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Collector

Re: Windows 10... anybody made the plunge yet
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 12:34:43 AM »
No, I have not. I may just wait until my next machine, but can't say when that will be. Edge does not matter to me, either as I still mostly use Firefox.

If I could be sure that I could do an upgrade while keeping my Win7 with a dual boot I might reconsider. I am also a bit leery about how Windows is moving to  a subscription service and how updates will not be optional. This is the main reason that the upgrades are free. A minor thing is I do not like the left overs from the Metro look, even if that is just cosmetic. I want Metro to die except possibly for handhelds.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Kawa

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:18:38 AM »
Just waiting for the update offer myself.

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:40:44 AM »
I've heard of quite a few privacy issues actually. A lot of opt-out settngs are enabled by default that sens your I formation everywhere including your Wi-Fi passwords for "easy networking". I'm not sure how much of that is paranoia and MS hate but I'm going to give it time until I decide if I want it or not. I haven't received my key yet anyway.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »
I downloaded the ISO, which I guess you need to first install as an upgrade to generate a valid key, which is stored by Microsoft before you can do a clean install. I still need to find out if installing the upgrade invalidates you Win7 key. I need to be able to boot back to Win7 to check compatibility with various projects.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »
It does not invalidate your Win7 key. That's impossible, with their current infrastructure anyway. You have 30 days to roll back from an upgrade before it deletes your backup, but your Windows 7 key will always work and you can just install it again if you wish.

As far as generating a key, I don't think you can. Microsoft gives you a notification for you to reserve your copy of Win 10, once you've done so Microsoft scans your system to make sure it's compatible (it is) and then prepares the perfect update for your system and downloads in the background. It will tell you when it's ready to install at your say so and you get your key then. That's how everyone is explaining it to me, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:10:23 PM by MusicallyInspired »

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 10:34:41 PM »
I was getting it from Microsoft's site when I was looking how to do a clean install. You have to have a registered Win7 SP1 or Win8.1 installation. The key is generated on Microsoft's activation server based on an upgrade of your valid 7/8.1 installation, paired with your PC's "fingerprint". After that you can do a clean install and your key is already recorded on the activation server.

And yes they can invalidate your old key, the same way that they ban pirated keys.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 11:55:51 PM »
However, this won't invalidate your Win 7 key. It has been confirmed.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 11:19:12 AM »
Having nearly fucked up my mom's laptop with some of the craziest hangs since I got my first Pentium to whine about a missing ROM BASIC, I've decided to limit Windows 10 to a VM.

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 02:00:58 PM »
I still haven't gotten my key yet...what's taking so long? Not that I'm worried, just curious.

Offline Collector

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 03:32:59 PM »
On an upgrade from what I found on the MS site it is stored on the activation servers based on a hardware "finger print" that is generated the first time you upgrade from a valid Vista/Win/Win8x. In fact to do a clean install you must first do an upgrade and then you can do a clean install. Windows will be reactivated when your PC contacts the activation server and your finger print record is found. Not sure you ever see the key from the free upgrade.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 05:15:19 PM »
Well, whatever. I haven't even gotten the upgrade yet. Must be one of the "unlucky" late ones.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.