Author Topic: Editing scripts...  (Read 6518 times)

Offline Larry Bonaparte

Editing scripts...
« on: January 10, 2007, 11:19:43 AM »
Like as I said few hours ago on the old MEga-Tokyo boards,

Hi everybody
Bonjour

First of all, I want to apologize for my bad English and spelingg. I'm sorry, but English is not my mother tongue

Next, and after all the goal of my topic, I wanted to know how to edit script resources.
In fact, I am the translator of Leisure Suit Larry 1 and 2 in French; and I have to open these resources to edit inventory names and common messages ("My name is Larry; Larry Laffer", and more )
But I can't do that with SCI Studio, obviously.

I have searched for such a editor, and find nothing but Dark Minister's SCI script editor... but I didn't find a valid (and free) download link.

Then, if you know where to download this software, or any good and free SCI script editor, I would be very grateful.

I know this must be a common question on your boards, from all the SCI d

Imagination rules the world.
Napol

Offline trodoss

Re: Editing scripts...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »
Salut,

Mon français n'est pas bon aussi. 

Pour  Leisure Suit Larry 1 and 2, parce que ces ressources sont compilées, n'aura pas de script pour éditer dans SCIStudio.

Je ne suis pas familier avec Dark Minister's SCI script editor. 

----
Complete translation of these games would be difficult as the 'code' that was used to make the games is not available.  There are a few script decompliers available, but recompiling the code would be challenging.  You would almost be better off re-creating the game in SCI Studio.

Cloudee1, the administrator of the board, has re-created some of Larry2 in SCIScript.
http://www.freewebs.com/larry2reloaded/
You could maybe use this as a starting point if you wanted to recreate the game.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 01:25:49 PM by trodoss »
New Year's Competition

Offline Larry Bonaparte

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 02:33:17 PM »
I don't want to recreate the game... It will take too much time, and I've already up the translation and I'm working on anoter programming projects.
Besides, I make a translation, not a multi-lingual remake.:-\

About Dark Minister's Script Editor... I found it a day on a site, but paying registration was needed to download. Then I founded it on another site, and for free; but the link was broken...
But from the scerenshots I've seen it seen able to modify compiled scripts.
That's why I'm looking for it. ::)

Thanks. :)
Napol

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 02:40:06 PM »
If you're talking about FilePlanet you don't need to pay to register to download it. You just need a free account at FilePlanet. You need to pay if you want to download it fast and right away on one of the max speed servers, but underneath those are the free "waiting-line" servers for you to download from for free. As long as you have a free account.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »
... About Dark Minister's Script Editor... I found it a day on a site, but paying registration was needed to download...
Do you have a link to that.
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Larry Bonaparte

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 04:32:17 PM »
No, it's a FilePlanet file for suscribers ONLY... (no free registrations!)
Napol

Offline trodoss

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 06:20:20 PM »
Larry (and others),

I was able to get the file from FilePlanet without having to pay for the file.
On the FilePlanet download page, if you scroll to the bottom, there should be the option to download for free.

Re: scripted.exe -- It is an old MS-DOS application that requires the script files to have been already extracted from their RESOURCE.XXX file (which you can extract by using SCIStudio).

If you are familiar with SCI script resource bytecode, would work for you.  I would probablly just prefer to use a text editor, but it is interesting to play around with.  The version that I found only edits the 'Objects' sections of a script. 

If you for some reason can't get the file to download from FilePlanet, send me a PM and I will see what I can do.
New Year's Competition

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 02:43:00 AM »
Sigh, why don't people believe me the first time...
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 11:58:26 AM »
You could also use Brian's decompiler, and then copy the output into some 'asm' statements in a .sc script.  I've never seen scripted.exe though, so I can't say how it compares in readability to the output of Brian's decompiler.
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.