Author Topic: I give up  (Read 54 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kawa

I give up
« on: Yesterday at 03:41:15 PM »
I can't keep doing this, being part of this forum, while more and more fall to the LLMs, gushing about how good its results are. You have no pride.

Come find me when you all get your sense of self-worth back.



Offline doomlazer

Re: I give up
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:19:03 PM »
I haven't been a part of this forum as long as a lot of people here, but I would like to say that the members, especially Kawa, were invaluable in helping piece together what I know about SCI and AGI. Honestly, the interactions weren't always pleasant or didn't always solve the problems I was struggled with, but they did point me in the right direction.

I'm not a programmer by profession, but working with these games has taught me things I didn't think it was possible for me to learn. I now feel fortunate that I was able to experience that journey in my own way, while having direct access to many of the amazing people who did the RE work to make that even possible.

I've used LLMs recently on some non-SCI projects in an effort to learn more about a technology that, as much as I dislike it, probably isn't going away. In addition to several other complaints, I really feel that its use took away a lot of what I love about programming as a hobby.

It's not right for me to gatekeep, and if LLMs make game design more accessible to people who don't want to invest thousands of hours learning a dead interpreter scripting language, that's probably a good thing.

However, I'm very empathetic to Kawa's point. There have always been alternatives; Adventure Game Studio is the first to spring to mind. Not that AGS is wrong or bad, but it's not SCI/AGI, and agentic LLMs feels the same. I didn't join this forum to create a point and click game, I joined it to learn how to create something myself in SCI/AGI.

If LLMs are driving people like Kawa away from the community I'll have to say that it's a net loss.

« Last Edit: Today at 01:06:39 AM by doomlazer »


SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.