Author Topic: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests  (Read 322413 times)

Offline troflip

Re: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests
« Reply #795 on: July 15, 2016, 04:32:55 PM »
If anyone has had issues with undo in the script editor, please let me know if you can figure out a repro.

Occasionally, undo will undo way too much (and so you've essentially lost a granular log of your changes). Really annoying, because you have to basically redo, and then remove the little bits you added recently. I've been trying to track this down, but I don't know how to repro it - it seems to happen randomly.
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #796 on: July 15, 2016, 06:19:17 PM »
Oh yes, very much so. I have to be real careful when undoing stuff.

Offline troflip

« Reply #797 on: July 15, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »
If you can figure out what causes it, please let us know. It hasn't happened to me at all today, so clearly I'm not doing the right things (or actually doing the right things :P )

Offline Kawa

« Reply #798 on: July 15, 2016, 08:44:26 PM »
Well, off the top of my head it just looks like it undoes in too-large chunks. For example, I'd change something over on the top of a file, then scroll down to about midway and change a single character there. Undoing would take that single character and half or more of the earlier block up top.

Perhaps flushing (is that the word?) an undo state when clicking or otherwise changing the caret position (not by changing the text!) would help? In the above scenario, the undo would then only hit the one character in the middle, and leave the block up top for the next hit of Ctrl-Z.

Of course, this is all blind cellphone-in-bed rambling.

Offline troflip

« Reply #799 on: July 15, 2016, 08:46:53 PM »
It's not as simple as that. I tried to diagnose it yesterday, but it was behaving correctly. No matter where I added text, an undo always undid a reasonable amount. The last few characters, the last word, the last thing pasted, etc...

But, I think I may have just found a repro using the find dialog....

Offline troflip

« Reply #800 on: July 15, 2016, 09:01:30 PM »
Ok, looks like the repro is:
- do something
- then click elsewhere in the document and go type a letter  (usually you would type a space or hit enter to make a new line or something - at least that 's what I was doing when I was trying to repro it - and when you do that is breaks the ties with the current undo record)

Result, the letter (and subsequent letters) get merged with the previous undo record.

Now I have to figure out how this text editor thingy is actually supposed to work. #notmycode

Offline Collector

« Reply #801 on: July 16, 2016, 09:32:19 AM »
I was going to ask doesn't the control you are using for the script editor manage the undo stack. Sounds like you would need to go through the code for that control. How much work would it be to replace it with another one?
KQII Remake Pic

Offline troflip

« Reply #802 on: July 16, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »
It's much easier to just modify it than to replace with another control.

Offline Collector

« Reply #803 on: July 16, 2016, 07:02:51 PM »
I was wondering as I seem to remember that you had mentioned before not being happy with it. Is it still being actively maintained?
KQII Remake Pic

Offline troflip

« Reply #804 on: July 16, 2016, 09:03:58 PM »
Yeah, it annoys me, as does anything MFC-related (so, like all of SCI Companion's UI). It's not being maintained. But, that doesn't really matter, I can just make the changes I need to it. And I've made a number of modifications to it to suit SCI Companion's needs, so switching to some other syntax-coloring editor doesn't really make sense.

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #805 on: July 23, 2016, 03:52:25 PM »
I found out (actually was told by csnover from scummvm) that SCI Companion can open and even decompile SCI2.1 games.
The trick is to rename the resources from resmap.nnn and ressci.nnn to resource.map/nnn.

I tested it on Hoyle 5 (Classic Games) and it worked perfectly.

It would be nice if SCI Companion could support these games natively, but until then renaming the files is a good workaround.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #806 on: July 23, 2016, 04:23:56 PM »
Wait what?!

Edit: can confirm, LSL7 doesn't seem to work at all resource-wise, GK2 works for graphics.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:28:45 PM by Kawa »

Offline troflip

« Reply #807 on: July 23, 2016, 04:30:55 PM »
The trick is to rename the resources from resmap.nnn and ressci.nnn to resource.map/nnn.

How does the naming scheme work? Like, why does the master resource map have a number?

Offline Kawa

« Reply #808 on: July 23, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »
How does the naming scheme work? Like, why does the master resource map have a number?
That must be why the GK2 scripts and such were just plain missing -- they'd be listed in RESMAP.001, while I looked in RESMAP.000 :)

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #809 on: July 23, 2016, 07:33:27 PM »
That must be why the GK2 scripts and such were just plain missing -- they'd be listed in RESMAP.001, while I looked in RESMAP.000 :)
Actually, they hide in RESSCI.PAT (the corresponding map being RESMAP.PAT)  ::)
EDIT:  And to answer troflip's question, there is one per CD, and an additional one to copy to the hard drive.
EDITEDIT And .AUD and .SFX volumes too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:40:05 PM by lskovlun »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.