Author Topic: Sci-Weekly Chatter - Mad Chatter News  (Read 9456 times)

Offline jtyler125

Sci-Weekly Chatter - Mad Chatter News
« on: February 23, 2007, 09:29:16 AM »
Hello Sci-Fans,

This coming from the long time player first time game developer...I stumbled on this site a month ago and have been hooked ever since...great job Cloudee1, now in the chat room we have decided to get some chatter, rumors, updates, whatever to get something going to increase membership...we want to get some interviews going with other programmers that have been successful...ideas/wishlist includes:

1)  Get Roberta Williams to chat with us for an hour or post an interview with her from one of our members.

2)  Get VonsterDMonster to join our site...and chat for an hour with our members, or have  a member interview him and post it on the web site.

3)  Get Bri_Da_Man, Brian Provinciano to join our community and chat with us for an hour, or let one of our members interview him and post it on our site.

First on our list will be to post an interview with our first game winner Doan Sephim...he is a mad game writer, if you have played his New Year's game or watched/played his Knight's Quest Demo you will know what I mean...keep your eyes posted for this interview....(it is just rumor....but I know some people that can make it happen)

Next we will see if we can meet the real Eigen, the creator of Al's Pond and a member of our site....

Thanks,
JT - The Mad Chatter

Life is getting better all the time.
Groundhog Day Competition New Year's Competition

Offline Cloudee1

Re: Sci-Weekly Chatter - Mad Chatter News
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 04:54:57 PM »
JT feel free to promote the sci community however you see fit, but keep in mind that I myself don't plan to do any interviewing of guests or whatnot, so if your inviting people here then you'd better have a plan of whatever it is your planning. So keep that in mind.

As for acquiring new members, my first step is simply to capatalise on all of the keywords that we used that led us to mega-tokyo... Sierra, adventure game, programming. My main focus has been to make a website that the search engines can't ignore when it comes to Sierra Adventure Games. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to watch a chat between our members and Roberta, but the site isn't in any real condition to impress anyone.

Essentially here is where I plan to focus the community development for now.
  • Sierra, sci studio, adventure game programming geared content of the mainsite to get the search engines attention.
  • Finding and asking for link replacement in regards to website owners who can be contacted.
  • New look and layout, besides ol blue (which is nice for us MT vets) something a little more graphicly interesting to get the search users attention when they visit because of our space quest 3 listing, and then notice the showcase games, and realise holy shit, this is a place where I can learn to make games just like this one.

I don't like to think more than three major steps ahead, it gets too disheartening. So likewise a man to man campaign to promote sci community falls below my top three. Maybe with the new site designed I would be more eager to jump on board, but as it is, the website is visually unappealing and I wouldn't show up to a job interview without putting on a clean shirt and shaving so likewise I wouldn't promote it yet to people who I would want to impress (like Roberta). Google's easier in that it's just looking at our words and screenshots.

If anyone would like to help on any of my top three, by all means. find mega tokyo links and ask the site owners who have contact information to replace their link to Mega-Tokyo which has closed with our new sci community link to replace.  Or, if anyone would like to submit original game breakdowns for the sierra games, I've just been copying from wiki but original content is better. Even if anybody has any ideas for a consistent site layout theme that both the website and forum can populate nicely post some sketches.

If you want to run off and bring in special people then by all means feel free, but that is not where my focus is. Roberta would get us visitors for a few days, google will provide a steady stream indefinately.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:29:36 AM by Cloudee1 »
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 05:42:01 PM »
3)  Get Bri_Da_Man, Brian Provinciano to join our community and chat with us for an hour,

A cold day in hell....  :D

Besides, I'd rather see Doan talk about how he makes such great EGA graphics  :)

Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 06:28:10 PM »
By the way Troflip when I said sci studio keywords, that is in an effort to make up some ground compared to Brian's in search rankings on the subject, not to exclude sci companion.

Probably with the next release, after all the little obvious bugs are squashed and whatnot. Considering the encoded bitmap option (has anyone tried it yet) and a clean template regardless of everything else that it can do, it should be pretty unanamous that sci companion would be the communities first choice in editors.

Has anyone used it on win98 yet, might be possible to get some of our hardware discouraged sci studio users back with a new editor that will work for them.   

I don't think Brian would want to come. He'd start getting all of the old questions again, "Is sci studio vga done yet," "any progress on scistudio vga," "I sent a donation can I get a copy of scistudio vga." The simple fact is that Brian is gone, the way I see it we can only try to do damage control on what is searchable on the web, once we rank just below or just as high, his links become irrelevent, because after finding nothing following all of Brian's links to Mega - Tokyo, then they'll either go back to the search results and try our links. What he has on the web doesn't have to be changed and we don't need Brian to change any of them, it just means that our goals are more defined than they would otherwise be.
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 04:08:48 AM »
I tried using SCI Companion in Win98SE and it wouldn't start saying I was missing some DLL file.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 08:43:32 AM »
Which dll?  gdiplus.dll by any chance?  I thought I made it fail gracefully if it didn't find it (some features would be disabled, as describe in the help).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 08:48:58 AM by troflip »

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 04:34:23 PM »
Yeah, I think that is the one.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 11:54:39 PM »
Sorry about that, I'll look again and see why it didn't end up being optional...

To work around for now, you can install gdiplus if you want (as mentioned in the title page of the help file).  Even if I make it would without gdiplus, several features which rely on it will be disabled.

Offline troflip

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 01:07:17 AM »
Ok, I've uploaded a new version that should eliminate the dependency on gdiplus.dll... at least so you can start the program.  But without gdiplus, these features are disabled:
- convert bitmap to pic
- pic trace images
- the thumbnails of pics in the "pic explorer" are lower quality.

Offline jtyler125

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 07:48:04 PM »
Ok,

Doan...the mad chatter is back, when can we set up a time to start the first interview?  I will probably be working on the game entry all night.  But I may have to give up because I have had a long week.

Talk to you soon.

Thanks,
JT

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 08:41:58 AM »
You can't throw in the towel! You gotta get right back up and keep fightin'!

As I was the gracious recipient of an extention last month, I could not imagine I should be so heartless as to not grant another, if it be so needed.

A good time? Probably tuesday night...that seems best for me.

Offline jtyler125

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 12:17:16 AM »
I will see what I can do about Tuesday night, that is my late night.  Did not finish game after sitting and working until I lost all feeling in my legs I decided to stop for a bit. 

This is much better that sci man...just more complicated that is all.

Mad Chatter out.

Offline jtyler125

Mad Chatter News - 1st Interview with Doan Sephim
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 09:01:56 PM »
20 Questions with Doan Sephim the writer of
The New Year

Offline troflip

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 05:47:48 PM »
Wow, Doan is famous!  8)

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.