Author Topic: Torin's Passage: I can't find 'global91' definition in SCICompanion  (Read 8668 times)

Offline Kawa

Re: Torin's Passage: I can't find 'global91' definition in SCICompanion
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
And I couldn't figure out how to add that, I'm afraid.

Offline Collector

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 07:35:05 PM »
Perhaps if Phil sees this he might be able to point you in the right direction.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
Saving changes to an SCI32 game might be a bit more difficult, because there's a third file, resmdt.xxx - and to my knowledge nobody has quite figured out what to do with it. ScummVM works without it, as does Companion if you rename the other two files. Since it's the same size as the resmap file, it's probably going to have the same data sorted by a different key, perhaps, but the map entry format looks different as well. It's been a while since I looked at it.

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 10:53:03 AM »
Saving changes to an SCI32 game might be a bit more difficult, because there's a third file, resmdt.xxx - and to my knowledge nobody has quite figured out what to do with it. ScummVM works without it, as does Companion if you rename the other two files. Since it's the same size as the resmap file, it's probably going to have the same data sorted by a different key, perhaps, but the map entry format looks different as well. It's been a while since I looked at it.

That could explain why, after making changes to the SQ6 demo to make my SCI32 template, Companion would later erroneously detect the resource.map format as SCI1, rather than SCI2. I'd have to manually change this to the correct SCI2 every time I wanted to make changes.
My SCI templates
SCI0 SCI0.1 SCI1.0 SCI1.1
SCI2.1 planned

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 11:09:00 AM »

Hi Lars,
I have found this piece of documentation for MAKEVOLS which might help:

MAKEVOLS.EXE
Version 5.00

Purpose:
Combines a game's resources into one composite volume.  In addition to the resource volume, a map file of offsets and a map file of resource date/times are generated.  The offsets map file is used by the game for locating resources within the volume.  The date/times map file is only needed when re-running MAKEVOLS in Update mode. 

So probably we should not worry about RESMDT.

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 11:31:41 AM »
So probably we should not worry about RESMDT.
Ah thanks, it's interesting that they ship it then. But it's a small file, so including it doesn't hurt I guess.

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 07:12:10 PM »
What, no RESSCI.000? You need to rename that too (to RESOURCE.000).

OK. I did not rename the actual resource volume as without knowing about the workings of the map file I assumed that it would be looking for RESSCI.000. Even though Companion was not intended for these later games, this is one change that would be nice to have; to allow Companion accept the different naming conventions.

Yeah, being able to accept other naming conventions would be a good idea. There's also the Macintosh SCI1.1 and SCI32 games, which use yet another naming convention - the resource files are labeled "Data1", "Data2", etc. From what I can tell by looking at them in ResEdit, they store all of the resources in their resource fork, and they have no data fork.
While neither Companion nor SCI Resource Viewer can open these resource files, ScummVM can, so it can play those games.
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

Offline Kawa

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
Opening a game in SCI Companion is complicated enough as it is. I'm not gonna try again.

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 10:17:57 AM »
There's also the Macintosh SCI1.1 and SCI32 games, which use yet another naming convention - the resource files are labeled "Data1", "Data2", etc. From what I can tell by looking at them in ResEdit, they store all of the resources in their resource fork, and they have no data fork.
A number of Macintosh games have a Mac-specific icon bar system. Full support for them would be nontrivial.

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 11:08:08 AM »
A number of Macintosh games have a Mac-specific icon bar system. Full support for them would be nontrivial.

Oh, right, I overlooked that. They also use the Mac OS save/restore dialog instead of the SCI one. I don't think ScummVM uses those anyway.

The only reason I liked the idea was so I could extract the resources from the Mac version of QFG1VGA and compare them to the DOS version. That's because I plan to make a patch that, among other things, includes the Mac version's bug fixes.
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

Offline Kawa

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2020, 11:36:48 AM »
Does ScummVM's diskdump * debugger command not work on Mac games?

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2020, 12:12:33 PM »
You'd likely have endianness problems if you managed to get the data into Companion. At a cursory glance, it seems diskdump would fail to save the Mac icon bar resources because they don't have a corresponding file extension on the PC side.

I was asked to look into that Pharkas Mac easter egg years ago. I think someone sent the disassembly to me (Omer?) and I did the decompilation manually. The disassembly probably came from SV (and had endianness problems as I recall).

EDIT: Thread here: http://sciprogramming.com/community/index.php?topic=1584.msg10916#msg10916
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:16:07 PM by lskovlun »

Offline Kawa

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2020, 12:40:04 PM »
Well, true on the icon bar resources thing but if it's bugfixes you want...

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.